booknotice (occasioned by Civility on the List: "heresy" discussion)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Oct 7 23:46:09 UTC 2000

N. Ganesan wrote:
.
> Appreciate any references about analysis of the
> Bibl'e last chapter and, comparative history/myth
> integration. Many Thanks.

The Book of the Apocalypse / Revelations is generally thought to have
been written c120 CE but seems to be a Christian re-working of typical
Jewish apocalyptic writings that were common up until the end of the
2nd Temple Period (72 CE) -- several similar ones were found at Qumran
(Dead Sea Scrolls).  I have an interesting interpretive article which
analyzes this text from a historical point of view I could send you
off-list if you are interested.

2.    Jan Houben wrote:

>how did "hairesis" -- originally a rather neutral concept --  get its
heavy
> connotations of terror and reprobation?

It first gained its negative overtones in the hands of the early
Church Fathers around the 2nd - 3rd century CE when they were
attacking rival brands of Christianity.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge