kuRuntokai 22

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 6 00:05:56 UTC 2000

--- Periannan Chandrasekaran <perichandra at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:
> Viewed simply, as soon as the heorine hears the
> phrase
> "who [,ever,] would want to part with you"  which
> gives hope that the hero
> himself may not bear to leave her behind,
> she feels uplifted and looks up...
>

> To me it looks like an interesting but minor and
> harmless adornment by UVS.

Thanks, Chandra for your detailed explanation.

kuRuntokai is supposed to have had an old commentary
(now lost) by pErAciriyar. Would it have had this
interesting explanation .. whereby the poem is
considered to have (not a mantra like but) an
effect (nevertheless) on the situation it's
describing?

I think not but I'd be interested to know if there are
other opinions.

Thanks in advance,

LS