kuRuntokai 22

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 3 02:07:51 UTC 2000

--- Swaminathan Madhuresan <smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:
> Have you seen rA. rAkavaiyaGkAr's commentary on
> kuRuntokai?
> I think his urai on all of kuRuntokai has been
> published
> recently.

Well, his kuRuntokai viLakkam (kv) which contains the
urai for the first 111 verses was published by
Annamalai U in 1983. It contains a foreword by A.
citamparanAta ceTTiyAr which is basically a review of
the entire commentary.

Sri ceTTiyAr does say in his foreword that this is an
outgrowth of rA. rAkavaiyaGkAr's lectures at Annamalai
U on the kuRuntokai and has *the U Ve Ca urai" as the
basis text.

The commentary to this verse in the kv is brief. For
the most part, it dwells on the usage "cAraRcilampu",
quoting paripATal 6 and tiruvAymozi 3.3.9.

But it does have the line "kaNNiRku ayalatAya nutal
utan celaviR kamazum enRatanAl kaNkaL mikak kaLittal
kuRittAL" and some more extra poetic statements.

So I don't know if that's a traditional understanding
or if the kv is influenced by the u Ve Ca commentary.

I was (and am still) under the impression that this
kind of ascription of real life (and real time!)
effects to poems was a late medieval tendency. For
example stories of Kampan, auvaiyar etc have this
element in them.

Thanks and Warm Regards,

LS