Hinduism: once was: RAJARAM EPISODE

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Oct 2 19:48:14 UTC 2000

At 05:48 PM 10/02/2000 +0000, Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

>Which takes one to a fundamental methodological problem, does it not? Under
>the general description of "Hindu" as an inhabitant of the land east of the
>Indus (especially true for 500-300 BC), Jains and Buddhists would be "Hindu"
>in origin.

But who uses this "general description"? Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, scholars?
Didn't we go through this recently?

>That apart, does anyone have a consistent and comprehensive
>statement of Hindu-ism as defining *a* religious community? If so, I would
>very much like to know what it is.

Have you read the article by Lorenzen that I recommended?

Best,

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley