SV: Classical languages of India

RM. Krishnan poo at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Sun Oct 1 07:22:39 UTC 2000

At 02:24 AM 10/1/00 +0100, you wrote:
>This debate in this forum caught my attention. Not being a scholar in
>related matters my opinions may be dismissed easily. But I would like to
>share Prof.George Hart's thoughts on this issue. This was part of a
>personal email exchange, that I cut and paste here. I have  his permission
>to share this in public forums.
>--kumAr
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Statement on the Status of Tamil as a Classical Language by Prof.George
>Hart:
>
>Professor Maraimalai has asked me to write regarding the position of Tamil
>as a classical language, and I am delighted to respond to his request.
>
>I have been a Professor of Tamil at the University of California, Berkeley,
>since 1975 and am currently holder of the Tamil Chair at that institution.
>My degree, which I received in 1970, is in Sanskrit, from Harvard, and my
>first employment was as a Sanskrit professor at the University of
>Wisconsin, Madison, in 1969. Besides Tamil and Sanskrit, I know the
>classical languages of Latin and Greek and have read extensively in their
>literatures in the original. I am also well-acquainted with comparative
>linguistics and the literatures of modern Europe (I know Russian, German,
>and French and have read extensively in those languages) as well as the
>literatures of modern India, which, with the exception of Tamil and some
>Malayalam, I have read in translation. I have spent much time discussing
>Telugu literature and its tradition with V. Narayanarao, one of the
>greatest living Telugu scholars, and so I know that tradition especially
>well. As a long-standing member of a South Asian Studies department, I have
>also been exposed to the richness of both Hindi literature, and I have read
>in detail about Mahadevi Varma, Tulsi, and Kabir.
>
>I have spent many years -- most of my life (since 1963) -- studying
>Sanskrit. I have read in the original all of Kalidasa, Magha, and parts of
>Bharavi and Sri Harsa. I have also read in the original the fifth book of
>the Rig Veda as well as many other sections, many of the Upanisads, most of
>the Mahabharata, the Kathasaritsagara, Adi Sankara¹s works, and many other
>works in Sanskrit.
>
>I say this not because I wish to show my erudition, but rather to establish
>my fitness for judging whether a literature is classical. Let me state
>unequivocally that, by any criteria one may choose, Tamil is one of the
>great classical literatures and traditions of the world.
>
>The reasons for this are many; let me consider them one by one.
>
>First, Tamil is of considerable antiquity. It predates the literatures of
>other modern Indian languages by more than a thousand years. Its oldest
>work, the Tolkappiyam,, contains parts that, judging from the earliest
>Tamil inscriptions, date back to about 200 BCE. The greatest works of
>ancient Tamil, the Sangam anthologies and the Pattuppattu, date to the
> [...]

Appa!

Finally it requires a great Professor to state the obvious. (We should
thank Mr. Kumar Kumarappan to forward the mail from Prof.George Hart.)

With great humility and simultaneous confidence, the Professor has stated
the above.

Even after this assertion, if some of our Indian/Indological friends are
hesitating to acknowledge the Classical Nature of Tamil, then perhaps we
are talking to closed minds.

Incidentally, stating the above assertion about Tamil does not in any way
undermine Sanskrit. In this august list, I have earlier raised a rhetorical
question:

"What do we say to historical (cultural and linguistic) matters related to
tamil and others? Dravidology perhaps?"

If we don't want exclusivity, then we have to boldly state that
Indology is not equal to Sanskritology;  it should be much more. To state
differently, Indology does not start from Kyber Pass alone. It also starts
from Kumari down south, including the submerged land. It is not only Jumbu
Dweep; it is also Navalam thaNpoZil.

With regards,
RM.Krishnan.