VVRI Hoshiarpur (fwd)

Claude Setzer cssetzer at MUM.EDU
Tue Nov 28 22:45:18 UTC 2000

This is the library i have told you about before that I think has a LOT of
sanskirt texts in Telegu script. what do yo thin about offerign to be
involved in this. Perhap we cold offer them the manual OCR in exchange for
soem of the texts, etc.

Big questions:
1) Is Tamil ready for ocr?? (it uses free internet font does it not??
2) can we realistically predict that Telegu ocr will be ready this
(december) month??
3) can we realistically predict transliteration to work well, at least
one-way between these scripts??? (We might ask them to specifically tell us
the correct transliterations from Devanagari and Telegu to Tamil, etc.)

Claude

> From: Jeevan Deol <jeevandeol at hotmail.com>
>
> Subject: vvri hoshiarpur
>
> tribune, 28 november 2000:
>
> Hi-tech project to save old manuscripts
> By Chitleen K Sethi
> Tribune News Service
>
> CHANDIGARH, Nov 26
>
> DAV College, Sector 10, Chandigarh, housing the historical Lal Chand Shodh
> Pustakalaya founded in Lahore, is working on a war footing to conserve a
> valuable collection of more than 8000 manuscripts and 9000 rare books into
> something more lasting and easily transferable than paper.
>
> Not many researchers in the field of history or literature would know that
> the DAV College is home to some of the oldest manuscripts and rarest text
> books of vedic literature in their original form. Some of these have been
> written on palm leaf, others on paper and some others on birch bark.
>
> The story behind the library's shift from Lahore to India is as intriguing
> as the collection. The DAV Management Committee had in 1917, founded the
> Raibahadur Lal Chand Research Library to encourage research in Indology.
> During partition the manuscripts and the books were secretly brought by
DAV