Black as Evil

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 28 14:46:54 UTC 2000

>by the great mystery that color prejudice appears to be virtually universal.

 The contrast in ancient India in the preference of color symbolism
 is notable:

 Among the Dravidians, their ancient God is Black.
 The oldest Dravidian literature calls Him mAl, mAyan meaning
 Black. White is their color of mourning and mere sight
 of widows wearing white is a sign of misfortune.

 In direct contrast, in the ancient Iranian-Aryan texts, black skin and color
 is not portrayed in good light.

>   It might be worthwhile to consider the spiritual perspective on color.
>Georg Feuerstein writes that "color" (varna) refers to "the frequency of
>light that characterizes the psyche (jiva)."  Thus the blue of Krishna's
>skin is "the color of his aura when he manifests," according to Sri
>Aurobindo. The advanced souls and enlightened ones clearly see something
>that the masses of gross-conscious people steeped in ignorance do not. Owing
>to the degeneration in the kaliyuga of this knowledge, the true meaning of
>color is lost . And this is a time when the clash of opposites in
>duality--"black and white"--reach their height, prophesied in several
>traditions to culminate in a colossal war between good and evil.

Indologists differ from the methodology of New Age writers like
Georg Feuerstein, ...

The black versus white symbolism trasfered to evil against good
in Judaism is coming from Iran, as far as we know.