Mahabharata (?) quotation

Mon Nov 27 20:19:25 UTC 2000

>This passage seems to come from the Mok.sadharma = Mbh. 12.339.14-15
>crit. ed.

Yes, immediately after posting my query, I downloaded the 12th
parvan from John Smith's online version of the critical edition,
and found the verses there, with slightly different readings.
The first verse in the crit. ed. has a total of six padas, viz.

14a - tatra ya.h paramAtmA hi sa nitya.m nirgu.nas sm.rta.h |
14c - sa hi nArAyA.no jneyas sarvAtmA puru.so hi sa.h |
14e - na lipyate phalaiz cApi padmapatramiva ambhasA ||

whereas Sankara quotes a four pada verse,

tatra ya.h paramAtmA hi sa nityo nirgu.nas sm.rta.h |
na lipyate phalaiz cApi padma-patram-iva ambhasA ||

without the intervening line "sa hi ...".

Also, the term saptadazaka-rAzi from the next verse is found in
an earlier reference in the 12th book of MBh (12.316.45).

Vidyasankar