Black as Evil

Sun Nov 26 03:57:01 UTC 2000

"N. Ganesan" <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Indians before the Aryan invasions, celebrated and worshipped Black
>colored gods. Naaraayana, name of Vishnu, is from the Dravidian

Aryan invasions or no Aryan invasions, Indians have always
celebrated and worshipped Narayana only as dark-skinned. So
also with his incarnations, Rama and Krishna.

>Portraying Black as Evil in World religions has ancient roots in
>India and Iran and, gets into other religions.

Ganesan, what exactly are you trying to prove here? I quote
from your posting of 8 Nov. 2000:

"It will be interesting and an avenue for future research
if the "white/light = good" and "black/dark = bad"
imagery in the portions of the Bible date from periods
of Indo-Iranian contact, and/or whether any contra examples
exist in 2nd millennium BCE Egypt and Mesopotamia."

So, in less than three weeks, something that was an "avenue
for future research" has become a strong assertion. Pray,
what is the Biblical research behind it? Have you ruled out
all contra examples, or is this nothing more than proof by
repetition? Secondly, if you think that "Black as Evil" is
an ancient "Aryan" notion, and that it also has roots only
in Iran and India, aren't you essentially agreeing with an
out-of-India theory of the Aryans? One would like a small
amount of consistency in one's assumptions, or so I think.

To keep this Indological, readers might be interested in some
old posts from May 1997:

listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9705&L=indology&P=R6068
listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9705&L=indology&D=0&P=9888
listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9705&L=indology&D=0&P=10707

Vidyasankar