RV. asi - L. ensis < black (metal)?

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Wed Nov 22 16:00:00 UTC 2000

Dear listmembers,

There was a word for iron in Sumerian, AN.BAR, and two words attested in
Akkadian from Old Akkadian times (third millennium):

amu:tum or amuttum, a precious metal, perhaps iron, Sum. KUG.AN
a$ium, (meteoric) iron (I don't know the etymology of a$i- here, -um is an
Akkadian ending).

A somewhat later word is parzillum.

habalgi seems to be a Hattic word, also used in Hurrian. In Amarna Letter
22 a very expensive dagger with iron blade (habalginnu) is described. Also
in the Amarna letters (c. 1350 BC) an iron drinking bottle for horses is
mentioned.

(The h- is the Scottish ch in Loch, and the $ is English sh.)

Iron might have been known in India as a very precious metal in Harappan
times. At Umm al-Marra in Syria, east of Aleppo, a lump of meteoric iron
was found together with silver, gold and lapis lazuli (from Afghanistan) in
a grave from c. 2300 BC.

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol