Basque and Tamil related?

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 22 16:44:27 UTC 2000

Andr� Signoret <sanskrit at CLUB-INTERNET.FR> writes:
>I know this is contestable and almost unbelieveable but it must
>be said ! Perhaps prehistorical Dravidian, if any, have  had
>contacts with Basque ! Chi lo sa ? Alle Phantasien sind erlaubt,
>even elucubrations !!!

"The first European missionary active among the Tamils was
perhaps a Navarre Spaniard, Francis Xavier (7.4.1506-3.12.1552)
who landed at Goa on May 6, 1542 and performed intensive
missionary work in the name of the Societatis Jesu in
Tamilnadu. He lived there for several months (particularly
in Tuticorin), and in his letters he compares his mother
tongue *Basque*, with "their mother-tongue ... Malabar"
(=Tamil). Oddly enough, centuries later, N. Lahovary
a Rumanian-French scholar, produced a sweeping but
bizarre hypothesis connecting Basque with Dravidian
(1963)."
(K. Zvelebil, Dravidian linguistics, An introduction,
1990, p. xv)

 Lahovary, Nicolas.
 La diffusion des langues anciennes du Proche-Orient; leurs
relations avec le basque, le dravidien et les parlers
indo-europ�ens primitifs.
             Berne, Francke [1957], 372 p. 25 cm.