RV. asi - L. ensis < black (metal)?

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 22 02:26:48 UTC 2000

It is worth drawing the attention to the family of Dravidian
words with the root *ay/*Ay = minute, fine, small, sharp, and iron.
And to the word irumpu = iron, weapon and *ir = dark;

DEDR #193:
Ta. ayil: = javelin, lance, surgical knife, lancet;
Ma. ayil: = javelin, lance; ayiri = surgical knife, lancet

DEDR #192:
Ta. ayil: iron
Ma. ayir, ayiram = any ore
Ka. aduru = native metal;
Tu. ajirda karba = very hard iron
Note that DEDR #341 lists Ma. ayiram = iron dust

Now we look at the most important entry
DEDR #341:
[note that the Northen languages have only the as- form]
Ta. Acu = minuteness, fineness, acuteness, trifle, anything small or mean;
Ay = to diminish, be reduced;
..acai = to be slender;...
ai = minuteness;
ayir = subtelty, fineness, fine sand, candied sugar;
Ma. asu = thin, slender; ayir, ayiram = iron dust.
Ka. asi, asa = thinness, leanness, slenderness, minuteness...
asidu = that which is thin;
Te. asadu = small, slender; asi = slight;
Kur. AcA = thin, attenuated, reduced in strength, slender, slim;
AcnA = to turn out thin, grow thinner;

DEDR #342:
Ta. Acu = hilt;
Ka. Ayuga =handle of a sword

DEDR #191 applies the root *ay to small fish:
Ta. ayirai = loach; ayilai = a kind of fish;
Ma. ayira = a kind of small fish; loach

DEDR #486:
Ta. irumpu =iron, instrument, weapon
Ma. irumpu, irimpu = iron;
Ko. ib = <id>
To. ib = needle
Kod. irimbi = iron;
Te. inumu = <id.>
Kol. inum = iron, sword
Cf. DEDR 2552 Ta. iravu.

DEDR #2552:
Ta. iravu, ira, irA, rA, iru,... = night; iru = black;
iruTci, iruTTu, irumai = darkness;
...[ and so on in about 13 Dravidian languges including
northern ones]