Differences between oral and written Taittiriya Samhita

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 21 18:38:20 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

In comparing the audio tape (and the accompanying chanting book) I have of
the Rudram (satarudriya) i.e. Taittiriya Samhita 4.5 chanted by a
traditionally trained vedic priest of the Hiranyakesin school of the
Taittiriya Samhita from Satara Maharashtra with the TITUS on-line text (HTML
version)of Weber's edition of the Taittiriya Samhita I noticed the following
difference.

In paragraphs 4.5.2 and 4.5.3 in the on-line Weber's edition all the padas
in these two paragraphs end in "namas".  But in the oral version I have all
the padas of theses two paragraphs end in "namo".

For example:

Oral version taittiriya samhita
namo hiraNyabAhave senAnye dizAm ca pataye namo / 4.5.2.1
namo vRkSebhyo harikezebhyaH pazUnAm pataye namo/ 4.5.2.2
etc.

TITUS Weber's on-line taittiriya samhita
namo hiraNyabAhave senAnye dizAm ca pataye namas / 4.5.2.1
namo vRkSebhyo harikezebhyaH pazUnAm pataye namas/ 4.5.2.2
etc.

1) Can someone explain the reason for the difference between the oral
version I have and Weber's edition. (I am assuming that the on-line version
is not a misprint but agrees with the printed edition).  I was under the
impression that there were no variations in the taittiriya samhita. (A.B.
Keith says in his introduction to his translation that there are no "real"
variations).

2)Also if what is being done in Weber's edition is treating each pada as a
sentence then shouldn't it be "namaH" not "namas", perhaps someone could
explain that also.

3) Do the differences between Weber's edition and the oral version I have
represent two different oral traditions or styles (or even minor
variations)of chanting the taittiriya samhita.

As an aside the corresponding padas from the satarudriya of the TITUS
on-line version (HTML) of Weber's edition of the Vajasaneyi Samhita
(Madhyandina) agree with the oral version of the Taittiriya samhita I have
and use "namo" and not "namas" at the end of these padas.

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.
Hurleyville, New York