Bhoja's ZRngAraprakAZa

Vielle Christophe vielle at ORI.UCL.AC.BE
Sun Nov 19 16:57:29 UTC 2000

Dear friends,
In his vol. 4 of Indian kâvya literature, p. 133, Warder refers to Bhoja's
ZRngAraprakAZa "VOL. II p. 476", "who mentions KArtavIrya Arjuna's water
sports in the NarmadA as an example of that kind of description as an
ornament of a whole work".  The reference corresponds to the edition by
E.J. Josyer published in Mysore (vol. IV, 1963 = prakAZas 9-14). My problem
is that I do not have at hands that edition, but only the one made by the
late Raghavan, in course of publication in the HOS (vol. 53 = prakAZas 1-14
- why not a reprint of Raghavan's previous study on that work as a general
introduction to his edition?).
May I ask if somebody can help me through indicating to what subdivision of
the text corresponds the "vol. II p. 476" of Josyer edition (and also if
Raghavan, in his important study on Bhoja's work that he published in
Madras in the sixties, said something about that passage).

Last thing : is there an other edition of the RAvANArjunIya than the old
one published in the Bombay KAvya-mAlA series of the Nirnaya Sagar Press,
that is a critical edition which could have taken into account the Keralian
manuscripts of that very interesting text.
Thank you for your help.

Dr. Christophe Vielle
Centre for Indian and South-Asian Studies
Oriental Institute
Place Blaise Pascal 1
B - 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
BELGIUM
Tel. +32-(0)10-47 49 54 (office)/ -(0)2-640 62 66 (home)
E-mail: vielle at ori.ucl.ac.be