towards a list, etc.

Christian K. Wedemeyer ckw1 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Nov 17 11:50:59 UTC 2000

I strongly support John Dunne's suggestion that a second list be formed on
the model of BudSchol.  The formation of this latter list actually seems
to have had the *dual* effect of a) providing a quiet forum for
professional communication among active scholars and, b) quieting down the
free-for-all in the original list (perhaps because it was known that
serious scholars had somewhere else to turn?!). The mission statement of
BudSchol is as follows:

"The Buddhist Scholars Information Network has been created to serve as a
medium of communication between accredited researchers of Buddhism. The
list is of a bulletin board/newletter format, for the exchange of
information regarding resources, events, projects, publications, job
listings, and so forth. With this as the main purpose, as opposed to
"discussion," subscribers will not be subjected to a daily mountain of
useless chatter, but only useful, factual information. It is a restricted
list, with membership limited to those holding advanced degrees in
Buddhist Studies, or who are currently enrolled in an advanced degree
program."

Administrative duties should (I believe) be minimal--restricted to the
initial approval of credentials for membership and (perhaps) some small
amount of weeding out of irresponsible elements.

As I am not very knowledgable about net-management, I hesitate to
volunteer to enact such a project (should this suggestion meet with
approval), but I would certainly be willing to help as best I can.

Sincerely,

Christian Wedemeyer
University of Copenhagen