abhayada

Harunaga Isaacson Isaacson at UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Thu Nov 16 18:26:30 UTC 2000

As Artur Karp surmised, the epithet abhayada is used referring to "Siva in
puraa.nic texts. I think that many instances could be found; one reference I
can provide is "Sivapuraa.na "Satarudrasa.mhitaa 16.13a, where "Siva is called
sataam abhayada.h (the whole verse runs
tata.h sataam abhayada.h "sa.mkaro bhaktavatsala.h| dadhre "sirasi candra.m sa
vibhu.h "sara.nam aagatam||).

Incidentally, the same epithet is applied to "Siva in tantric texts as well.

Harunaga Isaacson
Institut für Kultur und Geschichte Indiens und Tibets
Universität Hamburg