towards a list for professional Sanskritists and archeologists & anthropologists of South Asia

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Thu Nov 16 22:12:14 UTC 2000

Jan Houben's is an intriguing proposition; but it may cause problems
for some of us who have come into Sanskrit studies from other fields
(my dissertation was on ancient Greek dialects) and whose
publications on Sanskrit and other South Asian languages do not
normally appear in the journals that he indicates. I personally am
perfectly ready to accept that non-experts may have something
valuable to contribute (there is, after all, an advantage both to the
insider's and the outsider's perspective), or at least that their
contributions may present valuable challenges to established views.
What worries me more than paper qualifications is the "tone" of many
of the submissions--and on that count I find that some established
"experts" and "outsiders" may be equally on the side of the
angels/devas or the devil/asuras.  That's my ¢1.

Best wishes,

Hans Henrich Hock