Future of Indology ?

Singh (external) Amarjit Amarjit.Singh at CMR.SIEMENS.COM.MX
Wed Nov 15 20:31:22 UTC 2000

I have to declare a subjective bias in the matter of future of Indology. I
am a Dalit. I can not agree with the sentiments echoed by  V V Raman in his
conclusion. I wish that someone would actually take the trouble to write the
history of my people. Moreover I do wish that some people would not re-write
the history of my people.

I for one, would want the Western scholars to carry on.   We have no liberal
tradition in India. So people like myself have to rely largely on the
Westerners for our facts. Declan Quigley said somewhere to the effect that
to discuss caste system  is to step into the arena of 3000 years of history,
sociology, religion, politics etc. In other words a lot of Indology is
mainly 'Dalitology' and that applies to Muslim period of Indian history too.

I can see a bigger horror, than the one envisaged by some Indologists such
as Phillip Earnest, if Indology was left to the top 5% of the Indian
population.

I, together with some friends, would like to put some questions to this
forum in the New Year.  We feel that this is the only way we can access what
is probably the best way to scientifically get to some of the answers we are
seeking. Some of my friends are wondering if there are any answers to the
Riddles of Hinduism as detailed by Ambedkar. These can be accessed at
www.ambedkar.org <http://www.ambedkar.org>   Can anyone help ? This should
be easier than cracking the Indus seal.

In the end Dalit/(Bahujans) have not spoken yet. So one can say that
Indology definitely has a future.

Best
A Singh