mimansa;; mediterranean

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 14 14:39:15 UTC 2000

Satya Upadhya  Wrote:
>p.s. Am i right in concluding that the Mimansak philosophers, at least
>originally, were atheists? Kumarila Bhatta (and I am sure Prabhakar, and
>other Mimansaks as well) has certainly written extensively as to why he
>rejects the idea of God, and yet this fact is in fact glossed over by many
>modern writers.

 Prof. Purushottama Bilimoria

 - "On the Idea of Authorless Revelation (Apauruseya)"
 In Roy W Perrett (ed.) INDIAN PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION, Dordrecht: Kluwer
 Academic Publishers, 1989, pp. 143-166.

 - " Hindu Doubts about God - Toward a Mimamsa Deconstruction",
 INTERNATIONAL PHILOSOPHICAL QUARTERLY December 1990, vol 30, no 4, pp
 481-499.

 - " Authorless Voice, Tradition and Authority in the Mimamsa: Reflections
 in Cross-cultural Hermeneutics",
 NAGOYA STUDIES IN INDIAN CULTUR AND BUDDHISM- SAMBHASA, 18 (May 1995) pp
 1-24;

Samar Abbas wrote:
>  Moreover, there should be at least some linguistic relic of this
>Mediterranean/Negroid divide. However, scholars are almost universal in
>classifying the Kurumba, Irula etc. languages as dialects of Tamil.
>Or, are we to presume that the Mediterraneans adopted the Dravidian
>languages and discarded their own ?

 Note that there are some scholars who even claim Etruscan
 as Dravidian.
 http://tied.narod.ru/archive/etrus1.html

 One of the classic studies by the Jesuit missionary
 connecting Tamils, Indus civilization and Mediterranean.

 Studies in Proto-Indo-Mediterranean culture / by H. Heras. Volume 1.
 Heras, Henry, 1888-1955.
 Bombay : Indian Historical Research Institute, 1953.
 cix, 542 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.

 Regards,
 S. Madhuresan