Potter's wheel (was: pseudo-chariot wheel)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 12 16:06:32 UTC 2000

>I've never seen a potter's wheel--Indian or otherwise--with spokes. I don't
>think such a wheel would be heavy enough to
>maintain the momentum necessary for throwing.  (And you'd have to have an
>awfully good aim with the clay :^).)
>Dr Valerie J Roebuck
>Manchester, UK

I agree that there is a common misconception.
In South India, one commonly finds Potters' wheels
spoked, and not discoid.

Dr. Palaniappan, I think, talked about it here
long ago.

Pl. see M. Witzel
http://www.outlookindia.com/20001106/features3.htm
[Begin Quote]
As Rajaram and Jha, along with many autochthonists, want to
let the horse-rich Rig Veda precede the Indus Civilisation
(2600-1900 bce), they need Indus horses and chariots badly.
The Piltdown horse seal now proves their point! They also
find an Indus sign which looks like a spoked wheel (but which
may be the south Indian potter’s wheel-or just about anything
else).
[End Quote]

Regards,
N. Ganesan