PaNis on Lebanese Coast

Periannan Chandrasekaran perichandra at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 12 17:51:15 UTC 2000

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >If that is the most striking linguistic similarity, then even IE has such
> >similarity with Dravidian.
> >Both employ [i], [a] for demonstratives:
> >Skt itra = here; Dravidian: iGku
> >Skt. atra = there; Dr. aGku ;
>
> Sorry, this won't work. atra = here, tatra = there. itra makes
> no sense. In Hindi, you have idhar and udhar (not adhar).
>
> Vidyasankar

Thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway I had forgotten to mention idam/adas demonstrative pair.

from the famour verse:
"Om pUrNamadaH pUrNamidam ..."

--------
idam
.. this , this here , referring to something near the speaker ; known , present
; (opposed to %{adas}

ada4s
          nom. mf... (opposed to %{ida4m} q.v.) , that , a certain , (%{adas})
ind. thus , so , there.
---

P. Chandrasekaran.