Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK
Sat Nov 11 20:21:22 UTC 2000

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:37:10 GMT, Venkatraman Iyer
<venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>>There has been too much speculation based on theories of Aryan
superiority;
>Prof. Peter Schalk, Review of Tambiah, S. J.: Buddhism betrayed?
>Religion, Politics, and Violence in Sri Lanka, UChicago press, 1992
>Temenos, vol. 29, 1993, p. 183-9.
>

>the Aryan-Semitic debate in the late 19th century in Europe, although
>he himself regarded himself as speaking on behalf of pristine
>Buddhism. He applied the  Aryan-Semitic European debate on the
>relationship between the Sinhalese and the minorities of Tamils and
>Muslims.
>
>The Anagarika is the man who gave a racist base to Buddhism.

This modern equation of sinhalese = aryans and Tamils = Non-aryans seems to
have no basis in Sinhalese chronicles. If anything , the opposite seems to
be the case.Some years back, I read this post by a Sinhalese gentleman in a
newsgroup: