Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Fri Nov 10 20:44:55 UTC 2000

Dear listmembers,

Vidhyanath Rao asked a couple of questions about the names of IA gods in
two Hittite treaties written in Akkadian: Midra$$il and
Aruna$$il/Uruwana$$il, each preceded by the Sumerian determinative "gods".
The suffix -l appears here to denote a plural. It is not quite clear to me
what the suffix -(a)$$i- may mean. In Hurrian, -a$$i is used to form
adjectives from nouns. Midra$$i might therefore mean "having the quality of
Mitra". With the plural -l we might translate "(gods) Mitra-like ones". If
the suffix is simply -$$i, it would create an abstract noun "Mitra-ity" or
Mitra-taa/-tva, again followed by the plural suffix. Anyhow, these forms
are strange, as if the scribe didn't understand a word and wanted to
underline that "anything whatsoever in relation to these so-called gods or
demons or whatever" should be taken as witnesses to the oath. "Aruna" and
"Urvana" must either reflect the pronunciation of Varuna in a
Hittite/Luwian mouth, or this was how these names were known. The whole
matter of these gods is mysterious, since there is no trace of them in
Mittani. Were they gods of Hittite or Hurrian mercenaries?

I do not believe in Diakonoff's interpretations, but I need to study these
texts to say more.

One important point:
We should avoid the unwarranted expression "the Mittanis". When we speak
about the English, we do not say "the Englands", do we? Mittani was the
name of a country, not of a people. The word means "Mitta-land", originally
"Land of (a man called) Maitta". That the -a- disappeared before -i-, might
be the explanation of why Tu$ratta once or twice spelled his name
Tvi$eratta. Is is possible that the original form might have been
*Tvai$eratta.

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol