races .....was Dasyus and PaNis inRV

Raveen Satkurunathan tawady at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 10 21:15:34 UTC 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:49:55 -0800, Poopathi S. Manickam <poopathi at AA.NET>
wrote:

>Seriously..

>Kurumban.. (meaning pepper corn (Kuru milahu) haired one..?)
>mostly living in the wilderness of the Western Gates..
>the so called paNiyan.. (meaning errand boy?)

Yes Paniyan means a menial worker

>are NOT from the Negroid stock even according
>to the revelations and standards of their prophets

Would be interesting to know what a Negroid stock is? This is available
reference on them (not necessarily exhaustive)

Kurumba:-

Negroid tribe living in the Cardamom and Nilgiri hills, west-central Tamil
Nadu state, southern India. Originally a pastoral people

http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/0/0,5716,47580+1+46496,00.html?
query=kurumba

Also try

Mullukurumbas of Kappala by R Misra 1971, Vedam books,

Paniyans:-

Dr. N. Anil Kumar, “Agrobiodiversitry conservation practices in the tribal
areas of Wayanad District, Kerala, India”

1. “Paniyan, their physical features are, dark complexion, curly hair, flat
nose, thick lips, etc., very much resembling that of Negroid people”

2. “Their language is a primitive dialect of Malayalam with an admixture of
Tamil and Tulu words”

Also try

Paniyan of Kerala by Kurup, A. M. and Roy Burman, B. K. Delhi, n.d. Census
of India 1961, Vol. I, India, Part V-B, Ethnographic Studies, No. 11.

Physical features dot not lead to obvious close genetic relationships. Just
because people have ‘Negroid’ features in Asia (there are many in many
countries including India) does not mean that they are closely related to
such people in Africa.

Regards
Raveen