Supposed redatings of ancient China

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 10 19:48:15 UTC 2000

>From: Steve Farmer <saf at SAFARMER.COM>
>Indologists may take strange consolation in the fact that the
>fantasic redatings ...

>... "may poison scholarship for generations." ...

>... "national pride" --

The 19th centruy inetrpretations were widely publicized and entered into
text books. But now AIT was silently dropped or put on back burner without
any fanfare. I guess people do expect a fanfare when major events happen ;-)
because even a gossip in the field is important for them. People have a
right to know what is the latest status, and if there are many if's and
but's that is still OK. They can understand the complications.

I suppose we can't advise the public to join Indology list and read the
messages themselves to make out what the latest status is!

Does any one still believe we can have a Goebbel's type of propaganda in
this internet age? People are upto-the-minute on every bit of news even in
India or China. There are internet cafes in villages. I see no need for
alarm for serious scholars. Nothing can be hidden in this internet age.
karmaphalA is awarded on the spot, instead of next janmA as it used to be
19th century.

Regards
Bhadraiah Mallampalli