History of the religeous title bhagavAn

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Nov 10 00:31:48 UTC 2000

From: Ven. Tantra:
> >referred to the exegesis of "bhagavat" which
> >is sometimes glossed as "bhaga-endowed" where "bhaga"
> > = "yoni".
> What's going on there? Is this reliable? If he's back
> from Egypt, maybe he can fill us in.

I believe it is a "creative" etymology such as one sometimes finds in
commentorial literature.  I have just had a quick look a few reference
sources on hand but I couldn't find what I was looking for -- a lot of
my books are stashed away right now.  I'll have a more thorough search
to track a reference down for you if you want when I have finished
current writing obligations.  The Tibetan sGra-sbyor -- a useful
etymological commentary to accompany part of the Mahaavyutpatti will
have some info about "bhagavat" but I doubt it covers tantric
interpretations.  By the way, Qumran is not in Egypt -- it is on the
north-western shore of the Dead Sea -- I think it might now be under
Palestinian control at present though it was part of the territory
appropriated by Israel after the 6 Day War.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge