Bhagavat

Peter Schreiner pesch at INDOGER.UNIZH.CH
Thu Nov 9 18:39:22 UTC 2000

By chance I read some of the responses to the query about
the use of bhagavat on the same day when I read the episode
about Rudra's birth in BhAgavata-PurANa.

BhP 3,12.8 speaks of "bhagav-an bhava.h" (i.e. Rudra)
BhP 3,12.9 speaks of "pAdmo bhagavAn" (i.e. Brahm-a)
BhP 3,12.15 speaks of "bhagavAn nIlalohitaH" (i.e. Rudra)
BhP 3,12.21 speaks of Brahm-a as "bhagavcchaktiyuktasya"
(i.e. Vi.s.nu)

This says of course nothing about the _origin_ of the title,
but it certainly documents that the title is not used
exclusively for any one deity in the BhP.

Peter Schreiner