Black and Bright

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Thu Nov 9 15:24:48 UTC 2000

This is a wholly unconvincing argument.  One example from Jainism
 which, if Mr. Bothra states it correctly, is an equation of light/good
 dark/evil that is not unique either to Jainism or to India, does not
 prove that racial and colour bias arose in India only after and
 because of Western imperial dominance.

 Regards,
 Rohan.

It is more plausible that colour bias arose in europe than in india.
In india there can be a lot of difference in skin colour even between
siblngs ublike in europe where there is litle variation. This leaves little
room for any virulent form of colour bias. Apart from
a few stray comments we dont find examples of genocide, slavery
based on colour or highly motivated organized ideological groups based on
racial discrimination.

A black brahman can hardly lord it over a lighter shudra if he were to base
his autority solely on lightness. Yes I have seen it happen often.

Before we look for signs of racism / pigment consciousness  in semitic or
indic cultures why dont we keep this basic fact in mind.

The fact that black/darkness has -tive connotations is not surprising.
the equation that dark = bad will find its way into the alarm call/idiom/
literature for any organism which does not see well in the dark. Fear of
darkness is natural for humans because unlike cats we are vulnerable and
defenseless in darkness.

regards RB