Dasyus and PaNis inRV

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Thu Nov 9 05:33:27 UTC 2000

Before we look for signs of racism / pigment consciousness  in semitic or
indic cultures why dont we keep this basic fact in mind.

The fact that black/darkness has -tive connotations is not surprising.
the equation that dark = bad will find its way into the alarm call/idiom/
literature for any organism which does not see well in the dark. Fear of
darkness is natural for humans because unlike cats we are vulnerable and
defenseless in darkness.

By the way there is a small region in the brain reponsible for facial
recognition. Activity near this region is higher when a subject sees a
member of another race showing greater interest or excitement. So finally
pattern recognition by a neural net(brain) maybe a more sensitive test for a
tenuous but tangible entity like racial identity than a battery of dna tests
which shows up very little differences.

Afterall we have to work hard to see genetic differences even between chimps
and humans at the DNA level.

A chinese person can recognize who is manchurian or korean better than me
where as I can differentiate between oriya and gujarati people better
. examples programming or callibration after birth.

Periannan Chandrasekaran says:
I am often surprised to see in movies and informal videos of country side
and in photos appearing in scholarly books how featured Dravidian people
are...

glad someone noticed this. Hope that does not automatically mean they are
originally from the mediterranian. Dravidian regions I am sure like every
other place in india has a wide variety of facial features and it is silly
to stereotype a dravidian racial type using the rig veda or anything else.

RB