Hayagriva

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Tue Nov 7 12:52:13 UTC 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Francois Obrist wrote:

> Il  y a un article avec references bibliographiques dans "Encyclopaedia of
> buddhism" de Malalasekera, vol. 5, 1992.
> Article egalement dans "Encyclopaedia of buddhist deities, demigods,
> godlings, saint and demons" de Bunce, vol. 1, New Delhi, 1993.
> et un article dans "Les dieux du bouddhisme" de Louis Frederic, Paris, 1992.
> Dans ces 2 articles, plusieurs references au Taisho.
> Hope this help.
> Tout de bon
>
> Francois Obrist
> Bibliotheque cantonale et universitaire
> Section de langues et civilisations orientales
> CH - 1015 Lausanne
>
> At 01:03 07.11.2000 +0000, you wrote:
> >I am studying the archaeology of a temple in Vietnam and think that one of
> >the figures depicted may be that of Hayagriva.  One of the guardian figures
> >of the temple is certainly the fierce emanation of Avalotikesvara. However,
> >I am finding it difficult to find out more about this figure. Could anybody
> >point me in the direction of scholarly works about this god/ bodhisattva.

One may point to the older monograph of Robert van Gulik:

	Hayagriva : the Mantrayanic aspect of horse-cult in China and Japan /
	by R. H. van Gulik. - Leiden : Brill, 1935. - (Internationales Archiv für
	Ethnographie. Suppl. zu Bd. 33)

Another aspect that comes to mind is the Hayagrivastotra ascribed to Vedantadesika.
I think there was recently written a Ph. D. thesis on this work. Unfortunately I do
not remember the particulars. Perhaps you should look into the Dissertation
Abstracts.

Peter Wyzlic

--
Peter Wyzlic
Indologisches Seminar, Universitaet Bonn