Indo-Aryan words in Hurrian

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Mon Nov 6 01:26:53 UTC 2000

I wish I knew more about this subject. Since I must concentrate on my
Hurrian, Akkadian and Sumerian studies I feel I have to accept the
mainstream views of chronology. (I follow the so-called low chronology,
that is, my "1500" corresponds to "1560" in the middle chronology.) To move
Egyptian chronology forward "several centuries" sounds too dramatic; I
would not take such speculations seriously. The destruction of the Mittani
palace at Tell Brak was dated by dendrochronology to some time in the
beginning of the thirteenth century, I believe. See the Historical
Commentary in EXCAVATIONS AT TELL BRAK. VOL. 1: THE MITANNI AND OLD
BABYLONIAN PERIODS, by D. Oates, J. Oates and H. McDonald, British School
of Archaeology in Irac, 1997.

 You might find more on the subject of dendrochronology at:

http://www.arts.cornell.edu/dendro/

See also "Anatolian tree rings and the absolute chronology of the eastern
Mediterranean, 2220-718 BC" in NATURE vol. 381 (27 June 1996) 780-783 (with
Bernd Kromer, Sturt W. Manning, Maryanne Newton, Christine Latini, & Mary
Jaye Bruce).

Best wishes,
Bjarte Kaldhol