bharata battle

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Sat Nov 4 00:35:32 UTC 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:39:46 +0530, Rajesh Kochhar <rkk at NISTADS.RES.IN>
wrote:

>* More generally, large-scale habitation east of Yamuna-Ganga ( Yaga)
>doab did not take place  till the advent of iron-age.The Rgveda is
>decidedly a pre- iron age document. Therefore, the kings and chieftains
>of the pre-Bharata battle  could not have been stationed east of Ganga..

In ancient India, all buildings were generally made of wood. In that
case, traces of habitation along the river-banks would generally get
washed away in the floods.

>I am inclined to place the battle circa 1000 BC.Roughly speaking this is
>also the beginning of iron age in India.For the geography of pre-Bharata
>battle people we must look to the east of the Yaga doab (where else?)

What margin of error would you allow on either side of the date?

Yashwant