Ancient Kurukshetra of Mahabharat

Narayan R. Joshi giravani at JUNO.COM
Fri Nov 3 04:20:23 UTC 2000

In the research paper,"Substrate Languages in Old Indo-Aryan (Prof.Michael
Witzel-June1990, pages 67) it was mentioned that the super tribe of the
Kuru emerged(page3)in the late Rigvedic period(1350-1200 BCE). Does this
mean the Mahabharat war(in which Kurus were involved)took place either in
this period or sometimes after 1200 BCE? This might be very close to the
time of the First Teerthankara of Jainas and also close to the time of the
Jewish king Solomon (1000 BCE) and also to the Trojan War (1200 BCE).On the
page 33 of the research paper it was mentioned that Kurukshetra, the hub of
the Kuru realm was located in the northwest of Delhi according to early
post-RV texts.Is this Kurukshetra the same where Mahabharat war took place?
If yes, then to the best of my knowledge, to this day, no decisive
archaeological evidence had been presented in the support of the ancient
Kurukshetra of Mahabharat being northwest of Delhi. In one of the lectures
given by Dr.Kochhar (please correct me if I were wrong)in India, it was
mentioned that the Mahabharat place names and their indicated present
locations in the North India do not match.To the best of my knowledge,
there is no archaeological evidence about Kuru-Paancaal realm spreading
from Delhi towards east and no evidence to Khandava, Kikata and Pramaganda
somewhere south of Kurukshetra near Delhi.If there is such archaeological
evidence presented in any publication, please let me know.Thanks.