Madhava, Vidyaranya, Sringeri, and Kulke

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat May 27 04:04:56 UTC 2000

In a message dated 5/26/2000 5:50:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> My final posting on this thread.

I hope Vidyasankar and others continue to participate in this thread for some
more time.

> mAdhavIya does not say that Sankara established the devI temple at
>  Kanchipuram. Verses 15. 4-5 say that he reformed the Tantric mode of
worship
>  that was prevalent at the Kamakshi temple there.

Tapasyananda translates, "After worshipping Ramanatha at Rameswaram, the
Acharya travelled through the Pandya and Chola countries and reached the city
of Kanchi which shone like an ornament to the Hasti ranges. There he built a
temple where he instituted worship  of Devi with rituals  that are in
accordance with the Vedic traditionsand suited to the attainment of supreme
knowledge."

Considering the obvious difference in meaning here, I would appreciate some
comments on the reliability of Tapasyanda's translation.

Regards
S. Palaniappan