AW: Indra's Son

Robert Goldman sseas at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri May 26 18:01:23 UTC 2000

>The identification of  Jayanta (sometimes in the form of a crow) as
>a (or the) son of Indra occurs in a number of textual and oral
>sources. He is associated in some traditions with the origins of the
>Kumbha Mela and is said, in some puranic sources, to fight on the
>side of the devas in their battles with the asuras.

For some of these references see our ( Goldman and Sutherland
Goldman) note to Valmiki Ramayana 5. 36.24 in: The Ramayana of
Valmiki:  An Epic of Ancient India, Vol. V:  Sundarakanda..
Princeton.  Princeton University Press, 1996 p. 456.

--
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Professor of Sanskrit
email: sseas at socrates.berkeley.edu