Impact of mantra recital, etc.

Koenraad Elst koenraad.elst at PANDORA.BE
Tue May 16 19:17:03 UTC 2000

Shrisha Rao wrote:
> For some time now, there has been a tendency in certain political circles
> that anything labeled "Vedic" is assumed to be somehow authentic,
> wonderful, and superior.  The adjective thus gets misused a lot.

I don't think politics needs to be dragged in here.  Perfectly apolitical
people label their vegetarian cookbooks as "Vedic cooking".  For quite some
time astrologers have called their art "Vedic astrology" eventhough Hindu
astrology does not predate Alexander.  It is nothing new for classical music
as well as for Bharatanatyam to be called "the fifth Veda", so it seems the
inflation of the Vedic component to everything is simply part of Hindu
culture.

Koenraad Elst