Madhava, Vidyaranya, Sringeri, and Kulke, Turks and Hindus ,

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue May 16 01:39:25 UTC 2000

a. I'm curious about the Jain inscription found at Shringeri.
What does it say?

b. Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan wrote:

>turukkar or tulukkar originally meant Turks (as used by kampan2)
>but later came to mean Muslims in general. The word tulukkan is
>thus related to Skt. turuSka.

The word Turk has generally been used in North as opposite of
Hindu, both words imply ethnicity.

Jain Poet Banarasidas(1586-1643), has written

ek ruup Hinduu turuk, duujii dashaa na koy,
man kii dvividhaa maanakar, bhaye ek so.n doy .. (itrans transliteration)

Trans: Hindus and Turks are same, nobody is another
kind. Because they think differently, they have become
two from one.

Kabir has used the word-pair Hindu and Turk very frequently.
The popular term for Muslims then must have been Turk. Word
Musalaman probably had not come into use then.

ko Hinduu ko turuk kahaavai,
ek jimii par rahiye..  Bijak Shabda 30

Who is Hindu, who is Turk?
both live on the earth.