a question for the traditionalists among us

Chris Beetle bvi at AFN.ORG
Tue May 9 20:24:31 UTC 2000

At 11:55 AM 5/9/00 -0400, Steve Brown wrote:
>Friends;
>
>i am curious about the methodology of finding a guru in classical
>hinduism...How does one look?  when does one know he/she has found their guru?
>how does one approach this guru? is this discussed in the Dharmasuutraas? I
>ask only for my own purposes...not scholarly, those of seeking out a guru. any
>help you can provide will be of immense help and quite appreciated

There is a lot that can be said on this topic.  Here are just a couple
verses I'm aware of:

The following is one verse from Padma Purana:

sat-karma-nipuno vipro, mantra-tantra visaradah,
avaisnava guru na syad, vaisnavah sva paco guruh

A brahmana (priest or intellectual) with all brahminical qualities and
abilities is not qualified to be a guru unless he is a devotee of Lord
Vishnu (the Supreme Lord).  While a devotee of Lord Vishnu, even if born in
the lowest class, is qualified to act as guru.

And one from Bhagavad-gita 4.34

tad viddhi pratipatena
pariprasnena sevaya
upadeksyanti te jnanam
jnaninas tattva-darsinah

Just try to learn the truth by approaching a spiritual master. Inquire from
him submissively and render service unto him. The self-realized souls can
impart knowledge unto you because they have seen the truth.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

Chris Beetle