purANa in chAndogyopanishad?

Sat May 6 13:47:52 UTC 2000

>>In chAndogya upanishad 3.4.1&2, one finds mention of itihAsa and purANa
>There seems to have been an itihAsa-purANa tradition much older than the
>texts that are handed down to us. See Paul Horsch...
>G.v.Simson

In this connection: some years ago I read in some late Vedic text (Sutra?)
a passage quoting the beginning of "the Purana":   Manur vai raajaassiid...
making Manu not only our ancestor but also the first king (of himself & his
family...)

But, I failed to take a note, and cannot find the pasage now in any of the
available indices.
(Vishva Bandhu's Sutra index is not complete). Has anyone seen this? Or am
I dreaming?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:  http://www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs