Leverite; Vyasa; The Mahabharata

Noel Salmond nsalmond at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Mon May 1 18:44:21 UTC 2000

The spelling of the term should be Levirate, from the Latin, Levir,
"Brother -in-law." In the Bible, the duty of a brother to marry and
impregnate his deceased brother's widow (if she has had no son) is given in
Deuteronomy 25:5-10. The vicissitudes of this injunction exhibit a very
surprising outcome in Genesis 38, the story of Judah and Tamar.

Noel Salmond
College of the Humanities
Carleton University
Ottawa, Canada