Again, SANSKRIT broadcasts + M.Muller

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Wed Jun 28 12:24:49 UTC 2000

Am 28.06.2000 schrieb Jan E.M. Houben:

> 2500 years old hot issue: let the real braahmaNa stand up (kula or
> guna).

All right, I'll and come out of the closet and confess... Here I am. You
can read all about me in Bhagavadgiitaa ch. 18. :-)

But, as the j;naana and vij;naana of my karma demand, I must set straight
a quoted matter:

> From: S Krishna <mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 3:00 AM
>
> >Naaaaah! "Koln" i.e. Cologne seems to have come from "Kula heena"(
> lacking caste)!

No no no. Then where did that 'h' go? This etymology looks too much like a
hypercorrection (probably south Indian, where many people have problems
with the 'h' and with aspirations) - while it should be obvious that 'Koeln'
(as the misleading prakritic French name, with its three syllables, also
suggests) is actually 'kuliina', "of eminent descent", in Monier-Williams'
definition. Na vaa? :-)))

--
Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institut fuer Indologie und Tamilistik