Harappan Gold

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Jun 26 16:21:41 UTC 2000

> Harappan gold in U.P?? Does the Mandi hoard belong to
> Harappan or Late Harappan periods, or to much later
> times?

The newspaper article I read was very general -- hence my interest in
further information.  It also mentioned that the bulk of this horde
was "acquired" by the local villagers before archeologists can get to
the scene.  Of the estimated 3 tonnes that was found, only about three
hundred kilos have been recovered -- the rest will probably be
illicitly melted down somewhere.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge