h after t and d in S. Indian transliterations

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Wed Jun 21 21:13:24 UTC 2000

Thanks to all those who have responded to my question on this.

By the way, it's interesting to look at a language next door to
Kannada which Robert Zydenbos cites.  In Molesworth's Marathi and
English dictionary (1st ed. 1831 I think) there are a great number of
cases in which there are two forms of the same word or two words with
the same meaning, varying only by whether a consonant is a retroflex
or the corresponding dental, or an unaspirate or the corresponding
aspirate.  I wonder if in a the past century and a half or more since
then hypersanskritization has made one of these drop out of speech in
favor of the one that would correspond closer to Sanskrit.

Allen Thrasher