Madhava, Vidyaranya, Sringeri, and Kulke

Pierre-Sylvain Filliozat pfilliozat at MAGIC.FR
Fri Jun 9 21:01:40 UTC 2000

Shri Palaniyappa has sent many questions on MAdhava VidyAraNya and Dr.
Kulke's conclusion.
Well, while I was working for my thesis I was not able to put my hands on
this text PurANasAra.
In 1986 when I met my friend late Pandit Pathak he told me about PurAnasAra
and informed me that he is working on that. Also he showed me a few extracts
of it when I visited him briefly in Mysore. By then Dr. Kulke's article was
published.This PurANasAra text is published for the first time. Very few
students of Karnataka (Vijayanagara) history know about the existence of
this text though it is valuable one. In ParAsara Madhaviya and in his other
works MadhavacArya quotes from his PurANasAra. In this text, Madhava clearly
mentions that for a while he worked as a minister and adviser to Harihara I.
Like you all, I am also eagerly looking forward to the release odf this
publication from ORI, Mysore.
This work of Pandit Pathak has given an impetus to my opinion that Madhava
before embracing SanyAsa was serving as a minister to Harihara I and then
Bukka I.
Palaniyappa's another question is about the two MadhavAcAryas who were in
the service of the first two kings of Sangama dynasty. One MadhavacArya was
the son CAvuNDarAya of Angirasagotra. His guru was KASivilAsakriyAsakti.
Another MadhavacArya is ofcourse the famous MAdhavacArya the elder brother
of SAyaNacArya.
There was one more question about the name of place Gokarai or Kogara etc.
Unfortunately I do not know except the names of GokarNa or Karkala. To me
the latter seems to be more close to the Tamil orthographie . These answers
might pave path for more questions.
Regards.
Vasundhara Filliozat.