UPANISHADS & A HINDU TEMPLE LIBRARY

Tein Network deartein at CAPACCESS.ORG
Wed Jun 7 13:53:43 UTC 2000

June 7, 2000

TO:  A Request To Indology Scholars & Friends
RE: "Upanishads" & The Northern Virginia Hindu Temple Library

4513 A Thought From The Upanishads To Ponder

As the same fire assumes different shapes
When it consumes objects differing in shape,
So does the one Self take the shape
Of every creature in whom he is present.

Upanishads (c. B.C. 800)

DISCUSSION:  I find this quote sent to me by someone , fascinating !

1. COMMENTS REQUESTED :

Please  make comments on this interesting thought as to the
meaning and  relavance to the core Hindu Value System that
developed through the ages subsequent to the Upanishads.

2. ANY REFERRALS ON SCHOLARLY & READABLE BOOKS ON THE UPANISHADS ?

Can anyone recommend one or two  "scholarly" and yet "readable"
books  on this ancient Hindu scripture ? A discussion on contents as
well as  the likely origin and historical development  of  this
scripture, both subject is of  interest to us.

3. ANY OLDER SACRED  HINDU VEDAS OR SCRIPTURES ?
Are there older scriptures that are treasured by Hindus ? Can anyone
provide us with a few thoughts from such a scripture that may shade a
light on the meaning of this  particular thought from the Upanishads
as well ?

4. NOTE ON PREVIOUS  RELATED  DISCUSSED TOPIC :

Kabir's "Ocean of  Passion" & Tagore's  "Gitanjali"

Some of you have sent me valuable comments on Kabir's "Ocean of Passion".
Thank you ! We are not yet done with the discussion on this historical
context and also the comparison of Kabir's "Ocean of Passion" and Rabindra
Nath Tagore's "Gitanjali". So if anyone has further comments or references,
such would be most welcome !

Avi Dey
Coordinator,
Northern Virginia Hindu Temple Library
Northern Virginia, USA

[admin note: changed date from Wed, 7 Jun 1972 09:53:43 -0400]