Hindukadesa

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Mon Jun 5 04:53:51 UTC 2000

Shrinivas Tilak wrote:

>Were the Sahi subsequently "Hinduized?" Because my understanding
>is that the Sahi dynasty, which ruled what is now Afhganistan, was
>the last Hindu dynasty to be
>converted to Islam in that part of the world.

The Shahis defeated by Mahmud of Gazana are called "Hindu
Shahis" by Alberuni because they were of Indian origin as opposed
to the predecessors termed "Turk Shahis" (who were not Muslim).
The terms Hindu/Turk here are used in ethnic sense.

The (Hindu) Shahis opposed Mahmud bitterly, and after their defeat
many Shahi princes fled to Kashmir.

Incidentally there are some families in Pakistan today who
claim descent from the Hindu Shahis.

"Hindukadesha" could be related to region where Hindko
is spoken.

Yashwant