Dhyani Buddhas ?

shrikant bahulkar bahulkar at PN2.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Jul 31 04:31:00 UTC 2000

The term Dhyanibuddhas is also used by Benoytosh Bhattacharyya in his
book "An
Introduction to Buddhist Esoterism", ( 2nd edn., The Chowkhamba Sanskrit
Series Office, Varanasi, 1964, pp. 128ff.). Alex Wayman remarks: " In
illustration, some questionable terms have been applied to the Buddist
Tantras. (1) There is no expression 'Dhyaani Buddhas' in the texts; one
finds
instead the words Tathaagata, Buddha or Jina, as in the compound
pancatathaagata ('five Tathaagatas'),..." (Yoga of the
Guhyasamaajatantra,
Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi, reprinted, 1991, p. 54). The term 'panca
tathaagataa.h' frequently occurs in the Buddhist Tantras, such as the
Guhyasamaaja.

S. S. Bahulkar