Rajaram's bogus "horse seal"

Arun Gupta suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Jul 26 21:40:30 UTC 2000

Great detective work by Professor Farmer !

It was clear that the "horse seal" had an unusual length x breadth;
and it is clear now that this is because the seal was broken.

The genitalia are still not clear; but it is amply clear that the
head of the "horse" is really a visual effect caused by the broken
edge of the seal.

Without being an expert on decipherment of anything, my thoughts are --

Decipherment stands or falls on internal logic.   Dr. Rajaram's work ( minus
all the rhetoric) shows the non-obvious fact that a couple of thousand of
short code strings can be mapped to meaningful phrases if the decipherment
rules are lax enough.  That is, it is conceivable that Harappans did use a
system with loose rules, like the proposed decipherment.  But then there is
no way for us to establish such a decipherment as true.

If we had a long passage of code, then loose rules might be proveable,
because I think it is highly unlikely that a coherent message will emerge
from wrong decipherment rules applied to such a passage. However, I believe
the longest Harappan code string found is 26 symbols long.

Incidentally, what is that string, and what does Dr. Rajaram read in it ?

-arun gupta