The date of Sankara

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Jul 23 01:49:10 UTC 2000

I just finished reading Soundaryalahari by S'ankara for
a translation work I am doing for a yogi.  The language
in soundaryalahari is very similar to the jagannathashTakam
that is used in temple at Puri.  Some people had put
doubts earlier that the jagannathaashTakam was most likely
written by SriChaitanya since the AshTakam talks about Radha
and also that the temple did not exist in S'ankara's time.

After reading Soundaryalahari, the following thoughts
comes to mind.

1.  S'ankara is indeed the author of jagannathashTakam.
2.  Jagannatha did exist in some form in Puri in S'ankara's time.
3.  If S'ankara lived around 800AD, the Radha concept goes before
    Jayadeva.

If anyone has thought on these, may enlighten.

Best regards,

Bijoy Misra