Rajaram's "horse seal"

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Sat Jul 22 19:34:41 UTC 2000

Subrahmanyas at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Is there something wrong in Rajaram presenting his views
>  as based on scientific analysis ?

He further declares:

>  It is incumbent on Rajaram to present his case in a scientific manner.

As a new example of Rajaram's "scientific analysis," take a look
at claims he makes about the supposed Harappan "horse seal" in
his new book on the Harappan script. List participants will
recall that Rajaram's "avaricious horse thieves" decipherment of
the Dholavira sign board was thoroughly debunked by Michael
Witzel and myself on this List a while back. The "horse seal"
evidence is equally manufactured. To see a reproduction of the
seal, go to:

http://www.safarmer.com/pico/delusion2.html

Rajarm writes (p. 162):

>   The 'horse seal' goes to show that the oft repeated
>  claim of "No horse at Harappa" is entirely baseless.
>  Horse bones have been found at all levels at Harappan
>  sites. Also, as we have already seen, the word 'asva'
>  is a commonly occuring [sic] word on the seals. The
>  supposed 'horselessness' of the Harappans is a dogma
>  that has been exploded by evidence. But like its cousin
>  the Aryan invasion, it persists for reasons having
>  little to do with evidence or scholarship.
>    A well known 'Dravidianist' tried to argue with
>  Rajaram that the animal on the seal in question
>  (Mackay 453) is not a horse but a unicorn bull. A
>  comparison of the two creatures, especially in genital
>  area shows this to be fallacious.

Given the importance of this claim, it is curious that the
original of the seal is incorrectly referenced in Rajaram's book
(see my note on the web page above). More information on the
original seal will be posted when I track it down.

Scientifically yours,
Steve Farmer